Bearings replacement

Use this forum for general web site questions and comments
artellis

Bearings replacement

Post by artellis »

I built the 50x50 unit about 6 years ago. I followed all of the directions in the workbook. I was living on the East Coast ( Delaware) at the time. In 2020 I disassembled my unit in order to move it cross country. We moved to New Mexico in 2020.

We recently moved back to Delaware which required another disassembly for a cross country journey. My 50x50 is currently disassembled, I am getting close to spending some time assembling the unit. I might add the CNC has worked flawlessly since I first worked out the bugs in 2018 until I shut it down for the cross country move.

My question is about bearings. With 6 years' service (and hundreds of jobs) together with two cross country trips I think it would be wise to change out the bearings. With the unit disassembled now is the perfect time to consider this task. What is the current recommendations for the ABEC 7 bearings in the unit?
Supplier?
Model number?
And anything else you may consider to be essential that I understand prior to starting this effort?

Thank in advance.
Art Ellis
artellis122@verizon.net
baysale976

Re: Bearings replacement

Post by baysale976 »

Single data point: I built my 27x50 ten years ago, ran hundreds of jobs, moved it from NJ to Atlanta, and never had a bearing complain even a little.
Chances are, those bearings will go another 10 or more years. They are not anywhere near max load or speed.

Bearings fail (aside from defects) from stress, where the constant loading and unloading caused by rotation eventually causes the races to spall. Think about the bearings on your car: 150k miles before they would normally be even considered, and often much more than that until the start of failure.

Bottom line: They don't need replacement.

Nonetheless: If you must, buy USA, Japanese or German bearings from a known manufacturer. Buy from a reputable supplier like McMaster or Grainger or a local transmission place (not car transmission, power transmission, as in rotating machinery). Amazon is convenient, but some of their stuff is junk.

Return to “General”