Bee Hive Project

msimpson
Site Admin

Bee Hive Project

Post by msimpson »

I am working on a AZ Langstroth beehive project.
AZ_Langstroth Hive Assembly 3.jpg
I just about have it all modeled up in inventor, but have the rear screens, feeder, and Varroa tray and screen yet to work out.
AZ_Langstroth Hive Assembly expl.jpg
There are a lot of dados, rabbits, and grooves cut into square stock. Shown here is the somewhat traditional design, but I will make changes to better accommodate the CNC process.

Thoughts?
ggibeau

Re: Bee Hive Project

Post by ggibeau »

I know there are many popular designs for beehives - and your design looks like it will work awesome.

One thing to maybe add is an adjustable slid for the front opening - to control size of entrants - and some vent holes.

George
msimpson
Site Admin

Re: Bee Hive Project

Post by msimpson »

This is my daughters Slovenian AZ 3-level hive. Made in Slovenia. There Slov frames are different than the US frames, so they don't fit into US honey extractors. The guy who makes these in Slovenia sizes them for US Langstroth frames.
_MG_1758.jpg
_MG_1759.jpg
I started my design before getting this one. The new hive has some nicer and simpler features that I will try to incorporate into my design.
For one it has a simpler rear frame screen design that I will try and incorporate into mine.

The feeder system is also less complicated.

The big difference between the two is that I based mine on a 9-1/2" tall deep frame, the new one is based on a 9-1/8" tall deep frame. I will probably go with the larger size then add some 3/8" spacer plates for using the smaller frames. Note that standard Langsroth frames wont work, not without modification and they still wont be the correct thickness.

The new Slovenian design is tried and true, so I want to stick with its basics, but add the other features.

One major difference is that I made this one sized for 11 frames per level instead of 8, or 10. This makes the overall design larger. The advantage of this is that it is easier to work in. It is about 1-3/4" wider.

Return to “General CNC”