Router Tip for those considering use of SuperPID (or other)

techsol

Router Tip for those considering use of SuperPID (or other)

Post by techsol »

While researching what it will take to modify my router for use with an external speed controller (I'm going to use the SuperPID)... I stumbled on something potentially useful.

Basically... if you are going to be opening up your router, messing with the internals... wouldn't it be nice to have an exploded mechanical diagram of all internal parts, and an internal wiring diagram?

It's not the kind of info usually contained in the user manual... as the manufacturers generally don't want their customers doing that.

What I stumbled upon was that if you go to SearsPartsDirect.com and search for your router model number... you might be rewarded with an exploded diagram of your router, possibly containing a wiring diagram. I looked up the Bosch 1617EV, and the Makita RF1101. I wasn't able to find several others (by model #, which seems to be an exact match) but when I searched by listed manufacturers and categories... I got things that looked close to the model #... there's some hope there as the router models that aren't listed may just be "not yet added" (too new) to show up in the parts database.

Here are the two I did find.
Makita RF1101 http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdi ... Mod=RF1101
Bosch 1617EV http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdi ... 7EV&blt=06

This technique could be expanded to include other spare parts supplier sites besides Sears... it would be good to have a list of exploded diagrams for the various routers commonly used by KRMx02 owners.

Best regards,

Mike in NY
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

I had the drawings and did not find them that usefull.

Honastly Its a matter of ripping out out the electronics. And identifiing the two leads going to the brushes.

On the Makita its pretty easy. Its the two wires sticking up out of the guts of the router.

A more difficult task is to get the Super PID sensor mounted and working. Here I cut a small 1/2" x 1/2" x 3/4" MDF cube and drilled a hole for the sensor. This cube then sits in a small well (used for the Maketa Sensor).

I then add a touch of hot glue to make sure it does not vibrate loose.

I will provide a PDF and movie on converting the Makita RF1101, Hitachi MV12, and Bosch 1617EVS.
craigthefabricator

Post by craigthefabricator »

Awesome! Having detailed instructions and (even better) some videos on doing these conversions would go a long way. I am in the process of doing the SuperPID conversion on a Bosch Colt for my first CNC (Probotix v90)... the electrical part is a breeze, but every "tutorial" I have seen on doing the sensor part (where it mounts down inside the spindle housing) leaves much to be desired. The pictures are very vague, though I imagine its more the fault of it being a difficult shot to photograph down through the internals so you can get an exact feel for where the clear tube they provide and the sensor inside end up and what they are specifically pointing at in the mechanics.

So, looking forward to the PDF's and videos as I plan on using one of the routers mentioned for my KRMX02 build. Thanks!
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

Here is a link to the movie for the Makita RF1101 conversion.

I should be able to get the PDF finished this weekend.
CraZy35111

Post by CraZy35111 »

I am a fan of the Bosch routers, you posted awhile back that you would post a video/pdf of the conversion for the Bosch...Have you got around to that one yet or am I just missing it somewhere on the forum

Thanks
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

The SuperPID folks sent me three RPM sensors and three cables. They have all been used.

So at this time I dont plan on doing a conversion on the Bosch'

Drop the folks at SuperPID a line and mention that you want me to do another conversion. Its possible they will send me another sensor and cable so i can do a Bosch conversion.

Return to “General CNC”