USB SmoothStepper Hookup

msimpson
Site Admin

USB SmoothStepper Hookup

Post by msimpson »

For those of you who want to use a laptop I have just completed the USB SmoothStepper project.

http://www.kronosrobotics.com/smoothste ... top-setup/
Last edited by msimpson on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

Some minor issues when using smooth stepper. I noticed that the USB drivers do not get restarted when you put the PC into hibernation.

If you bring the PC out of hibernation and start Mach3, it will error because it can’t find the SmoothStepper.

To remedy this unplug the SmoothStepper and plug it back in.

I am using Windows 7 64bit on a Laptop.
cncmazing

Post by cncmazing »

The links for the cables are broken in the pdf.

What type of db9 and db25 cables are needed? m/m, m/f, f/f...?
cncmazing

Post by cncmazing »

Thank you. I just wanted to make sure I would be buying the correct cables.
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

Just an update on the Smoothstepper.

While I have all functions and accesories working with the SmoothStepper, I have yet to get the PWM spindle speed control to work.

IE I have yet to get the SmoothStepper to work with the SuperPID and control the speed of the router. So at this point if you are going to use the SuperPID and SmoothStepper I would stick with Pot control of the SuperPID.
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

I have been able to get the Mach 3 and smoothstepper to work on my MAC.
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

Copy from a post I made on CNC Zone:

Ok. After much playing around I was able to get the speed control to work or at least within 500RPM.

Apparantly the Spindle Calibration wizard is not compatible with the SmoothStepper. If you do try the calibration, be sure to remove the linearity.dat file as it will really mess things up.

Since you cant calibrate you have to adjust the min and max in the "Pulley Selection" form.

For the router I am using, I had to use a Min Speed of 1500 and Max Speed of 32000.

With these settings I get within a 200 RPM at the bottom and 500 or so near the middle and 1000 or so near the top. This is acceptable.

I will make the changes to my SmoothStepper setup project and let my folks know what I did.

This does bring up a point. If you can get your machine up and running without a SmoothStepper you will be better off on the long run. There are compatibility issues that may or not be overcome without some research. On the other hand if you don’t have a parallel port and can’t add one or are using a 64bit OS then your only choice is to use the SmoothStepper.

Personally, my preference is still a dedicated PC running a 32bit OS and parallel port. If you are doing any kind of production, this is the only way to go.

Here are the settings I used:
-----------------------------------------------------------
On Ports and Pins form under Spindle Setup tab
Use Spindle Moror Output:Checked
PWM Control:Checked
Step/Dir Motor:Unchecked
PWM Base Freq:50
Minimum PWM:0

on SmoothStepper Config Spindle Section
PWM:Checked
Base Hz:50
Spindle Index Prescale:1
Relay or None:Unchecked
Step and Dir:Unchecked

In addition make sure you remove the linearity.dat file located in the Mach 3 macros directory. It will be in the KRMx02 or KRMx01 directories.
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

I'm going to be cutting some wood gears today. I will cut one using laptop and smoothstepper and one with parallel based PC. Both will be on the same CNC with the same setup.

I will let you know how it works out.
Bobtail Farm

USB SmoothStepper Hookup

Post by Bobtail Farm »

(1) Ignoring the other work that it does, do I understand correctly that the SmoothStepper is used to provide a parallel port hookup instead of a USB connection between a laptop and the CNC?

(2) If so, then does anyone have experience using an Express Card w Parallel Port (see e.g., http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001IOPHVE/ref ... B001IOPHVE) and would this be an equivalent or better solution compared with the SmoothStepper for providing a parallel port on a laptop?

Thank you.

I have recently begun building a KRMx02 (50 x 27) and am reading a little ahead. Although I understand laptops are not preferred (nor perhaps Dell), I have a Dell 5520 running Win 7 on hand. So as spending priorities go on this project, I will defer an "optimized" computer.
baysale976

Re: USB SmoothStepper Hookup

Post by baysale976 »

The smoothstepper allows you to control the Gecko G540 with an Ethernet or USB port. Good for use with a laptop.
(Normally we use a desktop with a parallel port)

If you have a laptop without a parallel port, that PCMCIA card won't help: the problem with laptops is how they manage hardware, so ANY parallel port will be problematic.

That being said, a fast computer is great for running the CNC machine, but if that's all it is doing, you're not stressing it so much. If $180 for a smoothstepper is cheaper than buying another computer (Win XP is fine - some adequate machines can be had for under $100). Just read the requirements page on http://www.machsupport.com/software/mach3/ to be sure you have at least the minimum.
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

Here is the rub.

You need true parallel ports to control a CNC directly. You can not use a USB port because of the latency. The SmoothStepper is actually a complete hardware based controller with a parallel port. Mach3 has a driver that allows it to send bulk USB commands to the SmoothStepper. The SmoothStepper then interprets those commands and controls the CNC with very little intervention from the PC.

Think of the SmoothStepper as a mini computer that's controlling the CNC. It just happens to be listening to the PC for Estop or router control commands.

I have found the SmoothStepper to work very well in most cases. It does have some limitations.

1. There is latency between the SmoothStepper and the PC. This can problems in some situation. One is closed loop control of the router speed.
2. You need driver updates for MAch3 changes. For instance Mach 4 will probably need changes to the driver.

Parallel ports that are on the PCI or PCIe bus can work just fine with Mach 3. I use them all the time on PC builds. As for PCMCI, I have not tested any.
sandra

Post by sandra »

Hi

Smoothstepper, KFLOP and PCMC1 are all motion controllers, KFLOP for example both understands GCODE directly or you can write 'C' code to enhance it's internal fucntions. pretty cool.

Mach 4 need totally new drivers for all devices which is why it is taking longer to release and the parallel port is no long directly supporting in Mach4 but you can purchase a separate driver for 32bit windows if you want. Mach is recommending using motion controllers over parallel ports now. The Mach4 drivers are very very different as I've understood things, instead of the driver listing to mach the driver directs mach basically a switch from a pull to a push message system which results in almost instant feedback from things like button pushes to encoder feedback which should help Smoothstepper get through the closed loop issue's.

Smoothstepper has said they are working on a Mach4 driver at no cost but do not have an ETA on it yet. KFLOP has said the same. Mach4 also has a very different licensing system, you license in now tied to your PC. you can have 2 PC's still, one test one prod but they are tied to those PC's. In august they had a sale on the hobby version for 140 vs. 200 normally but that ended on aug 31st, (well, aug 30th due to a mistake but Brian has been fixing that)
Bobtail Farm

Post by Bobtail Farm »

Thank you baysales, msimpson, and sandra for your helpful and instructive replies.

Brian.
Bobtail Farms

Return to “General CNC”