Replicating a part for CNC

mbonadio

Replicating a part for CNC

Post by mbonadio »

Hi,

I have an existing CNC'd part that was cut from Carbon fiber which I would like to replicate and cut on my KRMx02. It's a part that fits into an existing structure so it needs to be very precise.

I was thinking of going down the path of a Digital Probe (don't really know how to do this) if this is the most precise way of scanning the 2d part. Can anyone make a suggestion on how to precisely make a digital copy of an existing 2d object?

Thanks in advance
Michael
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

Im not too sure about using a digital probe as I dont think they are as accurate as you mght think, unless you get a very expensive one.

That said, I have used two methods. The first is to just place it on a flat bed scanner and scan it in as an image. Then import the image into corel draw or similar program. You can now use the image as a guide to add object to create the item. Once done you can create a 2.5D tool path or export it into a 3D program.

When scanning add a item scanner that can be easily scaled so you canm make sure you scaling is correct.

The other way is the brute force method. Digital Calipers, Micrometers, protractors. Then model it in a 3D program. This is how I model most of my objects.

You can also use a combination of the two methods.

Return to “General CNC”