KRMx02 Vs KRmc01 cutting metal

msimpson
Site Admin

KRMx02 Vs KRmc01 cutting metal

Post by msimpson »

I have been asked what is the difference between using the KRmx02 CNC router to machine metal and the KRmc01 CNC milling machine to machine metal.

Disadvantage for the KRMx02

With the correct bit the KRMx02 can easily cut Aluminum. I have done it many times. The down side is the router vents to the bottom, thus blowing aluminum chip everywhere. In addition the router spins much faster and thus throws the chips much further. This makes for some major cleanup.

The KRmc01 does not have a vent to cool the motor, so it does not blow the chip. It also spins at a maximum of 2500 RPMs so the chips are not thrown as far.

You can alleviate this disadvantage on the KRMx02 by adding an AirExchanger to the KRmx02, and even a shroud.

Advantage for the KRmc01

It uses an R8 spindle. This means you can add any size collet you can imagine. anything from 1/16" to 3/4" You can use R8 to MT adapters. I have several jawed chucks for the KRmc01. There are even tool systems you can purchase for the R8 spindle and drawbar. These are designed for quick change and many can be adapted for an automatic tool changer.

Advantage for the KRmc01

The speed of the KRmc01 allows you to easily attach drill bits to the machine. And using a jawed chuck you can quickly use any drill bit to drill holes. The low speed also allows you to use various edge detectors that could never be used on a router. You can also add tapping heads that allow you to automatically tap holes.

Advantage for the KRMx02

The KRMx02 has a larger cutting envelope. This means you can machine larger parts. Keep in mind though, you have to hold those parts.

Advantage for the KRmc01

You can machine other metals on the KRmc01. You cannot do this on the KRmx02.

All this said, anything that requires high speed milling, the KRmc01 will not be able to do. IE you would not want to mill wood.

In a way, the two machines complement each other each can do things the other cannot.
baysale976

Post by baysale976 »

The way I see it, x02 is a wood router than can handle light metal machining. The mc01 is a mill that can cut almost any metal.

Rigidity is key to precision machining; the mc01 has that hands-down.

Modern machine tools for metals are designed for the speed range of a mill. A router needs special bits to cut metals, and even then only non-ferrous.

Do you ever see people using a hand-held woodworking router to cut metal? Rarely.

Mills are the result of centuries of engineering to optimize performance. (Yes, the mc01 is a compromose for cost, but not far from ideal).

As already said, they each CAN cut metal, but one is really being stretched for that, while it's the other's bread & butter.
msimpson
Site Admin

Re: KRMx02 Vs KRmc01 cutting metal

Post by msimpson »

Something very important about a mill, is its ability to drill. Unless you are using a very small drill bit, CNC routers don't have the low end torque and spin way too fast. I wont even get into the downward forces (for drilling) you have with a mill. Most routers can not take that kind of force.

Return to “General CNC”