Feedrates for cutting G10 (Fiberglass)

mbonadio

Feedrates for cutting G10 (Fiberglass)

Post by mbonadio »

Hi All,

I have a sheet of 1/16" G10 that I'm cutting and I'm having difficulty with the suggested feed rates for cutting it. I can't seem to find much consistent information. Has anyone had success in cutting it? I've purchased these Diamond Cut Bits http://precisebits.com/products/carbide ... router.asp which I'm told are the correct ones.

Any info or experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Michael
baysale976

Post by baysale976 »

Sounds like PC Board.

What feed rate are you using, and what are you seeing happen?
Also, how deep are you cutting, and what's used as a waster board?

On a machine that isn't a KRMx02 I am using 1/8" carbide cutters at 12000 rpm and a feed rate of about 50 ipm with a pink foam waster with good results. Surplus cutters (resharps), straight tooth, I get maybe 400-600 inches from one which is OK for my needs.
mbonadio

Post by mbonadio »

Using a 1/32" carbide bit, I tried was 18k rpm, feedrate 20 ipm, plunge of 10ipm and depth per pass of 0.01". I broke the bit, although I think I had it out of the collet too far...

I'm really not sure what the recommended way is and from what I've read it I can't find anything consistent..

Thanks
Michael
sandra

Post by sandra »

if you look at their Feed/Speeds for that bit (which looks to be a PCB (FR-4) bit) http://precisebits.com/Reference/chipbr ... dspeed.asp

it's 15IPM at 60Krpm and a 20IPM plunge

So it looks like unless your router goes into over drive you can't drive that bit. it's going way to slow

This would be where a Dremel or other Highspeed tool would need to be used in place of the router in the KRMx02.

Unless I've got it all wrong here that is :D
baysale976

Post by baysale976 »

That's why i am using a large bit, it can handle the slower rotation and keep the edge speed fast enough.

Return to “General CNC”