Learning about Spindles

Lensmith701

Learning about Spindles

Post by Lensmith701 »

I am starting a build of the cnccs (my first CNC machine). I am a woodworker by hobby and a computer systems manager by day - so I am not the type of engineer to design build from scratch a CNC machine - I need Kronos! However I can follow directions, tap aluminum and can do a lot with software. I have bought the books (1, 2, 3b, 5, 6) downloaded the BOM and am working through ordering parts. In doing so I am finding dead links, products no longer made/offered, and working to find suitable like for like replacements. I could find no process in the forum to report problems with the BOM like this.

In looking through the books and the web site, I have not yet found anything that speaks specifically to getting s specific, kronos tested spindle/router and mounts. I found the section on the VFD on the web and am intently studying that, however the type 1 links to a spindle and VFD but no mount. In addition, there seems to be no discussion on the site (I can find) about air cooled vs water cooled spindles and recommendations or links for that kind of thing. In other words, what is used to supply water to the spindle? Seems like a garden hose would not be the best option.

1. If anyone can point me to what is needed (BOM like) for the cnccs build to install a spindle with the VFD type 1 I would appreciate it. I am trying to follow VFD type 1 write up.

2. On Amazon - some spindles on Amazon are round with no mount, some are square and have bolt mounting holes. Which is best?

3. I do everything in a garage here in NC without any cooling (darn hot most of the summer). Note I am not a production shop doing thousands of pieces a day. I do intend heavy cutting of exotic woods, Oak and other hardwoods. I also want a hassle free worry free install\operation. Should I get an air cooled or water cooled spindle? If water cooled do I need a chiller and pump?

Thank you!
Lensmith701

Re: Learning about Spindles

Post by Lensmith701 »

Just found the item on the site for mounting a router.
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

There are a couple ways to go on the mount. CNCRouterParts (Avid) sells one for an 80mm spindle.
Lensmith701

Post by Lensmith701 »

Thank you - found it and had one delivered.

Return to “General CNC”