KReduCNC Project From Servo Magazine

bnelson

KReduCNC Project From Servo Magazine

Post by bnelson »

Is the KReduCNC project you are posting on your website the same as what was presented in Servo magazine? So far it looks to be the same.
msimpson
Site Admin

Re: KReduCNC Project From Servo Magazine

Post by msimpson »

Yes it is the same.

The folks a Servo Magazine have been having some hard times lately. They are now doing a remake of their magazine and have released the articles back to me so that I could post them on the web site.

I will be presenting the complete build on my website as I get them converted to web format.

In addition, I will be adding some upgrades as well.
baysale976

Post by baysale976 »

Not to get off-topic, but the print magazine industry in general is struggling.

If there is a magazine you like getting, be sure to tell anyone you buy anything from that you saw their ad in the magazine, or you wish they'd advertise in that magazine. Subscriptions pay only a tiny part of the cost of a print magazine; ads pay for the majority of it.

It takes only a minute to dash off an e-mail, and that could help save the magazine.
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

Magazines have to pivot and need to really embrace the internet. Some magazines like MotherEarth News or Make are doing pretty good. But they have a Ton of online content and products.

Servo should have made the pivot over to the maker side of things and away from the robotics. Robotics in general is pretty niche when it comes to the consumer side of things.
munsonryan

Post by munsonryan »

Looking to duplicate your KRedu as a portable CNC. I cut the frame panels using your provided eps/pdf vectors on my KRMx02. For assembly, the 1/4-20 cross dowels are fitting very loosely... the link to the cross dowels is for 10mm diameter dowels. The dowel holes, per the vector file, are about .54" or 13.7 mm. Does this sound right, or do I have a scaling issue/dowel spec issue? Everything else seems to be scaling... the side pannel is 18"x19" and the large holes are 1.75" and 3"

Sorry, as I know this is a freebie design you've posted, not necessarily for support. I'd be happy to shoot a donation your way on behalf of KRedu support if that would help.
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

I'm not sure what the size dowels I am using are. 1/4 -20 I think. In any case the holes for the cross dowel are meant to belarge.

The holes need to be loose to make sure you have some wiggle room to mate the bolt with the dowel.

Important
The dowel needs to be long enough to span the thickness of the frame stock you are using. If it does not it may be possible when the bolt is tightend that the holes will distort or break open.
munsonryan

Post by munsonryan »

Thanks - Definitely sounds like different dowels... these are .64" long x .40" dia. Threading is correct at 1/4x20.
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

They should work just fine.
munsonryan

Post by munsonryan »

Also one minor note, on the Z-carriage spacer, I think the stock size should be 3.75"x4.1875"x1/8" (the website says 3.75x3.1875)
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

Thanks, I will take a look next chance I get.

Return to “General CNC”