CNC Construction Set V2

msimpson
Site Admin

CNC Construction Set V2

Post by msimpson »

I have rebuilt the X axis carriage and the whole Z axis. At this point I am very happy with the machine.

Spindle on the new Z axis
_MG_0257.jpg
I have suspended the power cable for the router. A better option would be to put a very short cord on the router then run a cord through the E-chain. I am holding off doing this as I will probably add a VFD spindle later.

Plasma Cutter on new Z axis
_MG_0258.jpg
This particular Z carriage has the CAP04 THC installed. It is good for doing thin sheet metal, but so good for doing thicker metals on one of my fixtures. I am currently working on an additional carriage that has a floating head and not CAP04. This will be used for cutting features using my various fixtures.
msimpson
Site Admin

Re: CNC Construction Set V2

Post by msimpson »

The key to the new Z axis is the improved X carriage. I started with a 1000mm rail and cut it in half. 5-1/4" of the rail support is removed from each half. This allows me to create a simpler motor and bearing mount system.
_MG_0226.jpg
bnelson

Post by bnelson »

Looks very cool. Does this mean you are ready to lock down the design. I really want to build one of these.

Any idea what your next step will be?
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

First, I am going to design and build a third Z carriage that has a floating head and no THC. I have found this the best for cutting features in steel angle and steel bar.

I have been so happy with the build that I am thinking of starting the book series. My idea is the following.

Workbook 1
This will cover the basic construction of the machine mechanics and the router carriage.

Workbook 2
This will cover the plasma carriage, downdraft, and plasma table section as well as the THC and floating head options.

Workbook 3
Will cover upgrades and fixtures.

These are only preliminary ideas and are subject to changes as needed. All the parts could be cut easily laid out and cut of various materials such as Corian, acrylic, or aluminum. You could also use Derlin. The only parts that are critical and require machining are the bearing block holders and those I will probably offer as purchased items for those that build the machine and dont have the means to machine them. IE I dont want folks to need a CNC to build a CNC.

I'm interested in thoughts.
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

I have completed the first design of the floating head Z carriage.
_MG_0274.jpg
I say first design because I will probably tweak it a little. For instance I don't like the long screw that trips the switch.

Here it is in operation:
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

My very fist floating head cut.
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

I changed the pen-down event in SheetCam from a single probe to a dual probe action. This allows me to do an initial probe from 10IPM to 50IPM. I then raise the head about 1/8" and do a slower probe at 5IPM. And while a little slower, results in a much more accurate Z reference.

This will allow me to better dial-in my settings for the Everlast PT60 Torch. Here I am using some Harbor Freight 40Amp consumables. Im cutting at 40Amps with a pierce height of .15" and cut height of .06" (mimicking my HyperTherm machine).

I was recording when I made these cuts, so I decided to post them.

First I had the Arc OK signal disabled, so it did not wait for the pierce to penetrate.
Next, I had the speed set for some thinner stock so it was cutting at 200, much to fast for 40Amps in 1/8" steel. That was easy to fix by lowering the speed to 100IPM.

I am really happy with this floating head Z carriage assembly. Probably the best cuts I have ever gotten from my Everlast plasma. Its 1/8" painted steel, It's from an old bed frame. I can pick a whole bed frame up for $10 at one of my local Restores.
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

I have been so pleased with this machine, that I am moving forward with the books.
bnelson

Post by bnelson »

Does this mean I have to wait for the books to build one of these? I really have my heart set on building the plasma cutter and don't want to have to wait forever to get started.
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

No, I would love to get a couple beta builders out there. I would be willing to supply you with my material as it is completed, (rough, unedited versions) totally at my cost in exchange for feed back.

I will start up a new section in the forums devoted to the build. We can use this as our exchange method. Some things will change a little from the current design. First, I will be using 1000mm rails instead of the 900. They 1000mm rails are more common, so they are easyer to get and less expensive. By sticking a little out the back, you gain an extra couple inches on the Y direction.

I am already working a deal out with 8020 to provide the frame and carriage extrusions in a precut and tapped bundle. For the stand I will be using the rockler 36x24 steel stand. Its on order, so I will work it into the build once it arrives and is assembled. The stand is not so important for the Spindle carriage, buit is extremely important for the plasma because of the downdraft.

My current book order:

1. CNC Construction Set Base Set.
This book will cover the assembly of the mechanics as well as most electrics. This gets your machine moving and able to cut with a router.

2. CNC Construction Set Plasma Upgrade
This book will cover the addition of the downdraft table, plasma table, and the floating head Z carriage.

3. CNC Construction Set Plasma THC Upgrade
This will be a smaller workbook and will cover both the CAP04 THC as well as a voltage based unit. It will included instructions on building the CAP04 carriage.

4. CNC Construction Set Upgrades .......
The contents of this workbook will vary but will cover things like, probes, limit switches, router control. clamps an so on.

5. CNC Construction Set Plasma Fixtures and Techniques.
I have several plasma fixtures I made that were designed for a floating head. I also want to get into a rotary that can be used with the spindle and plasma (And the KRMx02).

These are just thoughts and will get more detailed and possible reordered based on feedback.

Those of you interested in building along with me as a beta, please send me an email via the contact page on my site.
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

Things are moving quickly on this. In just a couple hours, I have 3 beta builders. I am willing to take the first 10-15 who want to build along with me. This is going to be a fun build so come along and join in.

I have set up the CNC Construction Set forum for your feedback and suggestions.
mbonadio

Post by mbonadio »

Hi Michael,

What's the estimated cost of the construction set including the recommended Plasma Cutter?

Cheers
Michael
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

I suspect the machine can be built for less than $1000, Not including the plasma cutter. The Everlast 50S plasma cutter is about $850. Some times I have seen it cheaper. You could also use the 60S I suspect the mounts and hookup will be the same.

The cost of the machine is still a little up in the air, as I am working with 8020 to cut and tap all the extrusions. I am still working with CNC4PC to supply the electronics, so that will depend as well.
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

It may be possible for 8020 to also make available all the carriage and other plates with all the holes drilled. This will only be an option as it will be cheaper to make your own, especially if you make them out of something other than aluminum.
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

Im just about finished with Volume 1 of the CNC Construction set, for anyone interested in joining my beta build I still have a couple slots open.
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

Another status update.

Volume 1: Frame and Carriages - Complete
Volume 2: ACME Drive Components - Complete
Volume 3: Basic Electrical Hookup - In progress
dgrimm

Post by dgrimm »

Can the size of X axis be increased?
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

No.

The design is pretty much set. Chaining the size of any axis would require you to resize all components running that axis. IE All Gantry components, frame. In addition you may also have stand issues. Also the design is rigid for the x size used, increasing the span of the gantry will result in less rigidity, more vibration. A couple inches could probably be tolerated, but anything more will hurt the performance of the machine.

You will also have to source your own components for this change. Increasing the dimensions will also through off all upgrades and enhancements.

Unlike the KRMx02, the CNC Construction Set size was never meant to be changed.
Bobtail Farm

Post by Bobtail Farm »

!
THANKS.

Return to “General CNC”