KReduCNC

Use this forum for general web site questions and comments
ChrisS920

KReduCNC

Post by ChrisS920 »

Do you have a BOM for the KReduCNC? Do you have an estimated cost to build the KReduCNC? I was planning on building the KRMx02 but I don't have the floor space at this time so this will do for a startup machine.
msimpson
Site Admin

Re: KReduCNC

Post by msimpson »

What I have on the KReduCNC is up on the website. I probably wont be doing much more with that build anytime in the near future.

If you dont have any of the parts, the KReduCNC will cost you between $800 and $1000 to build.

You might want to look into my CNC Construction Set machine. Its size is a little over twice that of the KReduCNC but its a much more serious machine. Much closer to the KRMx02 build.

The CNC Construction Set will cost you about twice that but is 10 times the machine as the KReduCNC. Also, the CNCCS CNC shares prettymuch the same electronics as the KRMx02.

Here is the web pages I have started.
http://www.kronosrobotics.com/cnccsintro/
ChrisS920

Post by ChrisS920 »

Michael,
I am going to build a machine but I have just a couple more questions just because I might be moving within the next 9 months and this will be built in my current basement and I will need to remove it. What are the overall dimensions of the CNCCS CNC? Finished weight? and rough build cost? keep in mind I'm starting this project with only the laptop I'm typing with.

Are there templates? I see 80/20 aluminum and what are the red side supports built of?
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

The overall dimensions are about 28" wide and 40" long. I would say it probably weighs about 100lbs. Would be very easy to move with two people. I have casters on mine, so its very movable within the shop. But with stairs you will need some help. Depending on what you have I would say it will cost somewhere around $2000 if you dont have anything. But the CNCCS is all about options. The machine can be upgraded as a downdraft plasma cutter.

I do have templates. You get to choose the material you use for the plate material. The lightest weight and cheapest are made from 1/2" PVC or MDF. You can also pretty much any 1/2" material. I have a couple beta builders using Corian that they purchased online. I have built four machines out of:

Corian
Aluminum
MDF
PVC

Personally for your case, I would recommend the PVC. Its light, inexpensive and takes paint very well. It is very easy to cut and drill holes. For many of the plates, the type of material does not mater as they get there rigidity from the extrusion or other components that is attached to them. Some of the Z axis components could benefit from a stiffer material like Corian, acrylic, or aluminum. These are easily upgraded later.

The build calls for a UC100 motion controller so just about any PC with a USB port will be fine.
ChrisS920

Post by ChrisS920 »

Thanks for all the helpful information I was reading in the general forum in V2, have you and 80/20 worked out an agreement for pre drilled extrusion. I was reading in the KRMx02 forum about individuals drilling there own extrusion an being off ever so slightly that disrupted their builds.

Otherwise count me in as a beta builder. This is just the beginning when I have the shop or space I will build the KRMx02 that I already bought plans for.
msimpson
Site Admin

Post by msimpson »

If you are talking about the KRMx02 Y beams (8020 extrusion), I recommend using a guide block to ensure the holes are drilled correctly. You can also enlarge the holes a little to give you more adjustability.

As for the large risers, you can purchase them pre-drilled from 8020.

There are no holes in the CNCCS extrusion.

Return to “General”